About Mould and How to Treat

About Mould and How to Treat

4th Sep 2014

How is mould inside the home a problem?

Mould is a health hazard inside the home. Mould can cause respiratory problems for the young, elderly, sick* and is known to trigger asthma attacks and worsen symptoms**. 50% of people living in mouldy homes have ongoing upper respiratory problems that resemble hayfever.

Mould also damages clothes, shoes, soft toys and looks ugly in bathrooms and on walls and ceilings.

Where is mould usually found?

Homes across Australia are susceptible to mould. Mould thrives in damp conditions (so usually appears after rain or high humidity – that’s summer and winter!). Walk into any home after a week of rain and you’ll smell that musty, dank odour. Mould also thrives in dark places, so it loves to grow in wardrobes, cupboards and on walls and ceilings of dark rooms. Mould is a constant threat in bathrooms and around kitchen sinks and fridge seals.

Tackling mould

Until now, with the availability of simply NO mould from simplyclean, commercial mould killers relied on chlorine (aka bleach) as the active ingredient to kill mould.

These mould killers (Exit Mould, Coles Ultra Mould Killer, Woolworths Mould Cleaner, Selleys Mould Killer and so on) all have problems and limitations:

1. IRRITATING CHLORINE FUMES: Chlorine fumes irritate the nose and throat and can make people feel nauseous. Chlorine can be just as irritating to people with respiratory problems as the mould it is supposed to kill.

2. CHLORINE EFFECTIVENESS IS DEBATED: Chlorine’s ability to kill mould is highly debated. Very strong solutions of chlorine (above 10%) will kill mould but are only available in specialist solutions for use by people who know how to handle hazardous chemicals. The supermarket products contain only 4% chlorine, which doesn’t do the job claimed.

Chlorine based mould sprays, including Exit Mould, received a SHONKY AWARD from independent consumer organisation CHOICE in 2012 because “they don’t actually kill mould”. Check out

3. EFFECT WEAKENS OVER TIME: Chlorine is very reactive and the amount of chlorine in products reduces over quite a short period of time. As the percentage gets less and less these products become too weak to have great effect on mould. Note: Simply NO Mould is tested to have an effective shelf life of a minimum of 12 months

4. THEY BLEACH MOULD, ALLOWING IT TO HIDE AND MULTIPLY:Even a weak solution of chlorine readily bleaches mould to white, so it can’t be seen. You may think you’ve killed your mould with chlorine when in fact it’s still there, just invisible and growing, unseen.

5. CHLORINE DAMAGES SOME SURFACES AND MATERIALS: Chlorine attacks and corrodes metal (tapware) causing rust spots and pits, so must be rinsed away pretty swiftly. It also eats into grout, making it easier for mould to take hold next time.

Other mould treatments

DIY solutions for mould include clove oil and vinegar. Both methods have merit but also have some downsides too.

Clove oil

  • Is expensive and during high mould season is often unavailable due to limited availability
  • Has a very strong distinctive (many say unpleasant) residual smell that hangs around for a long time in the home and can get into clothing
  • Can stain grout brown, if used too strong
  • Is a lot of hard work and elbow grease to use properly
  • Is not proven to work scientifically, although it seems to in practice :) but is definitely not proven to prevent mould spores from being released into the atmosphere to settle elsewhere in the home
  • Is a POISON in bottle-sized amounts, so must be kept out of harms way.


  • Has its own strong distinctive smell that hangs around in the home for ages
  • Works well against mould ONLY if a rigorous clean-up process is followed, which in 99 /100 times does not happen. A simple spray & wipe will not do the job
  • Leaves streaks, so requires clean-up after the clean-up. More hard work.

Simply NO Mould

So our introduction of simply NO mould, part of our  range, gives the healthier alternative to successfully treat mould in the home using the power of hydrogen peroxide. Find out more about simply NO mould, the healthier alternative.

* According to Professor David Guest of the Plant Pathology Faculty of Agriculture and Environment at the University of Sydney

** Reported by Dr Sheryl van Nunen, National Asthma Council Australia

We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians and Traditional Custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.